What to Expect After Cataract Surgery
After your cataract surgery, the best thing you can do is follow your post-op instructions for the quickest and most comfortable recovery. This usually includes using the recommended eye drops and giving your eyes enough time to rest and heal. You will also have a follow-up appointment with our cataract specialists to ensure your eyes are healing properly.
Many patients find that their vision has become clearer just hours after surgery, and most patients will see major improvements within two weeks. Your eye should be completely healed after about a month.
What to Expect the Day Of Surgery
The day of your cataract surgery, you will be given a protective eye shield to use when you are sleeping. You should have a friend or family member with you to drive you home, as it is normal for your vision to temporarily be blurry for the first few days after surgery.
When you get home, it is important that you take it easy and rest, avoiding activities like watching TV or staring at your phone, as these put more stress on your eyes than what’s recommended. It’s very normal to feel a mild foreign body sensation for a day or so after your procedure.
These symptoms will improve over the coming hours and days.
Your aftercare is simple, since, after the first day of surgery, you can return to most normal activities, such as computer work, watching TV, and regular showering. Just be aware of the amount of strain you are putting on your eyes and follow our tips on how to keep them well protected during your recovery!
- Protect your eyes from bright lights by wearing sunglasses
- Avoid any heavy lifting or strenuous activities until you are seen at your first postoperative appointment
- Be aware of your surroundings so as not to bump into objects that could physically harm your eyes
- Avoid swimming in the first week to prevent infection
- Avoid irritants like grime and dust that could get into your eye
- Don’t use makeup, lotions, and soaps near your eyes for a few days as these can cause irritation
- Don’t rub your eyes!
If you are looking to have clear vision again, schedule an appointment with one of our eye doctors to learn more about cataract surgery and the recovery process.
Unsure of whether or not you’re a candidate for cataract surgery? Take our self-test today to find out for sure and schedule your consultation today!